Hey, everyone! Wow, so I haven’t been able to update the blog in awhile because I have been so busy! I think the last time I posted I mentioned that I had bid for some jobs on www.freelancer.com, and unfortunately, I still haven’t gotten a project on there but I also haven’t put much more effort into it, so it’s really my fault. You know when you’re looking for a job or a way to make money, you have to go all in! My mind has been all over the place and when I sit down at the computer to search for something, I jump from site to site and have found that I’m not being very effective with the little bit of time I do have. So it’s time to get more organized!
So the reason I’ve been so busy is that one of my friends messaged me on Facebook after seeing my post and told me she is opening a hardwood flooring business and asked if I would write all the content for her new website! I was pretty nervous at first because I know nothing bout hardwood floors (except that they look beautiful in a home), so I did a lot of research and wrote what I think was some pretty good stuff. Check it out on the link above and let me know what you think!
Now this first project took me a very long time because I kept overthinking everything, so the money I made wasn’t a whole lot compared to the time it took me to complete it, but I think with some practice, this could be some very easy money for me. I just need to find a lot of other people who need stuff written for their websites!
I did some research on search engine optimization (SEO) which is what every website needs if they want to show up in any search results, and found that one of the most important things is to make sure the content on the site is unique (not copied from anywhere else), is very relevant to the subject at hand, and is interesting and captivating to its audience. I did some keyword research and found the terms that were searched for the most in that industry, and then made sure I included those keywords throughout the content in a natural way. I broke up the content into smaller sections to make it easier for me to write, and made sure I put a title above each section with the most powerful keyword terms. Apparently, the search engines check out page titles and content titles first when trying to gather the best sites to display to the searcher. I also tried to educate the reader as much as possible instead of just trying to talk about how wonderful her business is because I read somewhere that was important to the search engines as well.
I’ve become very interested in the SEO field just after reading several articles about it, so I’ve made an effort to start focusing on this type of work for the time being. I know I can’t compete with all of those SEO companies out there because I still am not very sure what I’m doing, but I can learn just like the rest of them did. So in between finding other people who need content written for their websites, I’ll be researching and studying everything I can about search engine optimization and how the search engines work. The internet is a very complicated and interesting beast, don’t ya think?
Gotta run…it’s late and I’m exhausted!
Hey, everyone! I am determined to find something that will not only help my family financially, but allow me to spend as much time as possible with my kids. I’ve been reading all kinds of articles and blog posts about different jobs people can do from home, and have compiled a list of the top 10 jobs I’m going to do more research on to see if any of them would be a good fit for me and my family’s schedule. Keep in mind that everyone is different and has different skill sets, and there are thousands of jobs out there that claim you can do them all from the comfort of your home, so my top 10 list will probably not be your top 10 list.
Anyway, here are the top 10 jobs I am going to focus on to start off with:
- Virtual Assistant: From what I can tell, VAs are in high demand by business owners and executives who just don’t have the time to keep their lives organized. They need help with everything, from sending e-mails to scheduling their kids’ doctors appointments. I’m pretty sure that organizational skills are a must for a job like this, and there are probably deadlines that must be met for particular circumstances.
- Online Reseller: So this one sounds interesting. An online reseller seeks out people who have a bunch of junk they need to get rid of but don’t have the time to deal with it. Instead of offering to hold a big yard sale for them, they post the stuff for sale on sites like eBay, and then take either a flat fee or percentage of the sales. I could probably make a small fortune just helping some of my family members get rid of old, unwanted possessions.
- Data-Entry: This job sounds pretty simple and mindless, and normally I wouldn’t be interested in something like this, but I’m a fast typer and feel that I could make some pretty decent money if I was able to find a company to hire me on. You basically help businesses convert their paper files to digital versions.
- Answering Service: Have you ever wondered who those people are who answer your calls to your doctor at 10pm? Neither have I. This job would fit well with my schedule, though, since I’m tied up with the kids during normal office hours.
- Interview Transcriber: Most journalists and researchers hold hundreds, if not thousands, of interviews to learn more about their subject, but none of them have the time to transcribe the interviews into written or typed documents. Interview transcribers can receive an audio file in their e-mail and send back a typed version of it from the comfort of their home.
- Content Writer: Writing content for websites sounds pretty interesting to me. I’ve always enjoyed writing, and I could learn about a lot of different subjects depending on what types of websites I was assigned. The pay scale for this one is a little vague, though, so I’ll have to do more research on this one.
- Social Media Marketing: Our society has a huge focus on social media sites like Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn, and the majority of business owners have no idea how to use these platforms. According to everything I’ve read, you can get paid to set up accounts, monitor them, post in them, and ultimately drive more traffic to the business’ website.
- Online Tutor: As long as you have experience and knowledge of a particular subject and a college degree, you can become an online tutor or teacher. Most families are busy and it is difficult to find time for a one-on-one meeting with a tutor, so the online option is a great solution. I’ve always been really good at math so I will find out if there are any other requirements for a math tutoring job.
- Tech Support: I always thought that when you call a company for technical support for your phone or computer, that you’re calling a big office with a bunch of people sitting in cubicles, answering phones and giving support. I guess in this day and age, if it can be done on a computer or with a telephone, it can be done from home. I’m not sure if I’d actually be qualified for this type of job, but I do feel like I know a whole lot about cell phones and tablets.
- Affiliate Blogger: I’ve heard of fashion bloggers being gifted items from designers and companies to review on their blogs, but I had never really heard of people getting paid to blog. If you get enough traffic on your site, companies will pay you to advertise for them, to review products, or to just mention things. I don’t think I could ever get enough people to read this little blog, but go ahead and share away and help me spread the word! I’m partially kidding, but hey, you never know!
I’m sure there are a lot of other jobs that would be a good fit, but these are the ones I’m going to focus on first. Be sure to read about my story here if you don’t know why I’m so focused on working from home.
Gotta run…the kiddos are calling!